Thursday, April 30, 2009

#12.......baby L's nursery

This past week, I spent decorating my cousin's nursery in Jersey City. She and her husband live in a railroad apartment where all of the rooms are stacked in a line from front to back of the apartment. The right side of each room serves as a hallway, as the doors to the adjoining rooms are lined up down that side of the apartment. They are renters, but were allowed to paint. We chose Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore for the accent wall, and white for the other walls, to help draw your eye to the side of the room that is home to the crib and changing table. My cousin really wanted to limit things on the floor, so we opted for Elfa shelving from the Container Store to give storage. In lieu of purchasing the pre-made shelves with the Elfa system, we decided to have wood cut at the local Home Depot, and I painted it to match the changing table, which was also painted as it had been in my aunt and uncle's attic since my cousin was a baby. I made a curtain to partition off the grown-up room out of a Jonathan Adler duvet cover, and a Roman shade out of an Amy Butler print, to brighten up the color palette while functionally letting them control the light coming into the room.

This room was relatively easy to put together, and fairly inexpensive. My cousin had already purchased her crib, and I was thrifty in sourcing the fabrics, using remnants from previous projects for the baby quilt duvet, and bumper, Roman shade and bottom section of the partitioning curtain. The Elfa shelving cost was significantly reduced because we used our own shelves instead of those the Container Store sells. We were going for simple, modern, but cheerful, and I can't wait for baby to arrive and see his or her new room! Click here to see more pictures of Baby L's nursery on my Flickr Photostream.

7 comments:

Kacia said...

Hi! The nursery is adorable - you did a really great job with it. I was just wondering where the paintings with the birds are from? I'm looking for prints/paintings to gift a friend for her baby shower, and those are adorable. Thanks!

Julie said...

Hi Kacia,

Christie painted them herself - pretty great, huh!

Corrie Hill said...

Hey I was wondering where you got those amazing birdie paintings on the wall? I love them!

Corrie Hill said...

OH my goodness I should of read the other comments before I asked! There amazing good job

Anonymous said...

where did you find the rug?

Christie Chase said...

Hi Becca,
The rug is from Urban Outfitters. It is several years old, and unfortunately they don't sell it anymore, but they do have some similar 60" round options.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Christie! It's a great addition to the room. This room has definitely inspired me to do navy in our nursery! Thanks!