Wednesday, February 24, 2010

#146...light switch decor

Decorated light switch plates definitely are considered kitschy....not really a decorating style many strive for....I however, secretly love decorated light switch plate covers and have a few sentimental ceramic wall plug covers scattered throughout my house (above and below) that I painted years ago when I owned a paint-your-own pottery shop.
I am not advocating putting decorated switch plate or wall plug covers on every outlet in your house, but I think they can add a bit of fun and whimsy to closets, laundry rooms, hallways, and garages. It is really easy to make your own using fabric, bits of wallpaper or old maps, and Martha Stewart Living has quick easy tutorial here.....or you could support Etsy artists and buy one of these.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Decorated light switch plates definitely are considered kitschy" - Perhaps for some, but I believe switch plate décor is more than kitschy. It can serve as a great complement to your interior décor. These switch plates you've posted are rather interesting, especially the ones with irregular shapes. I've seen most people decorate their switch plates by covering it with prints, but this is the first I've seen where the shape of the switch plate is customized to fit the design.

Switch Plates