Monday, December 27, 2010

#279...reading list 2010

I majored in English in college, and really enjoy reading. I usually try to read a little each night before bed to wind down. It takes me awhile to get through a novel, as I often read the same page over a few times due to dozing off. Here are the seven books I read this year. I'd love to hear if anyone has reading suggestions for me for 2011.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
While most of us can't visit 3 continents in a quest to find ourselves,
Gilbert manages to make her soul searching adventure relatable.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel
 The ending surprised me, as it turned out to be more of a fable than historical fiction story.
 I've never seen the movie, but think I'll put it on my Netflix que after reading the book.

The Shoe Queen by Anna Davis
I had high hopes for this book, as it is historical, set in Paris, and all about fashion.
However, I struggled to get into it, and could not connect with any of the characters.

Good Faith by Jane Smiley
This book centered around corrupt real estate dealings in the 1980's.
I thought it would be interesting since I dabble in real estate, but it bored me, and I barely finished it.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Set in France, it is the story of how Paris, and one family in particular, was affected by the Nazi invasion.
It is a powerful and moving story, and I am glad to have read it.

Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik
I love memoirs, and I found this story of an American journalist
and his young family living in Paris witty and insightful.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
This heartwarming yet sad story told from the eyes of the family dog was hard to put down.

No comments: