Wednesday, August 10, 2011

#371...hairpin end table

I picked up this little hairpin leg end table for $15. The edges were stained plywood, and the top surfaces had a piece of flooring laminate glued to it. (I ripped those off before taking a pic). The table needed a little TLC with paint.


I left the stained portions alone, and cleaned them up with Murphy's oil soap and Howard Feed-N-Wax. I sanded the top portions and used my favorite primer and this satin alkyd enamel from Benjamin Moore in Golden Bounty.

Oil paint is really messy and hard to clean out of brushes, so between coats of oil paint, I wrap my brush in plastic wrap and foil and store it in the freezer. It keeps it from drying out, and often my brushes will stay workable in the freezer for months. You just have to remember to take out your brush and let it defrost for 10 minutes before re-coating.

3 comments:

Kay Stephenson said...

That's a great tip on the brush storage Christie. Thanks. Love the re-purpose of that table.

kl2069 said...

When you take the brush out of the freezer for re-use, do you then have to only use the color that you had previously used?
Cute table, I like the hairpin legs!

Christie Chase said...

Yep, the color would be the same, as the point of putting it in the freezer wet is to avoid cleaning the paint brush between coats of the same color. If you want to change color then you'd need to clean the brush, which can be done with mineral spirits or turpentine for oil paints.