Friday, November 11, 2011

#411...mousepad makeover

I saw this post on design*sponge and got inspired to give my plain mouse pad and aluminum can pencil holder a face-lift.
before

after

Here is how I did it.........
I have a bin in my studio full of thrift store leather pants, skirts and jackets

I selected this black leather mini skirt from the pile to cut-up for my project

I cut the pattern shapes for the pencil can and mouse pad from the leather

I used this spray adhesive to adhere the leather pieces to the mouse pad and pencil can

Next, I used artist's tape to tape off the diagonal lines delineating the painted portions

I used this metallic fabric and leather paint in copper

I pulled the tape off while the paint was still wet, and let it dry before spraying a top coat of non-yellowing acrylic varnish on the pieces to seal the paint and help with wear. They dried, and I am using the mouse pad as I type this. I am curious how the painted pad will hold up to having the mouse run all over it. They sure are pretty though.


1 comment:

Alicia said...

Christie - LOVE the mousepad makeover! All they need is a fleur-de-lis and it could be New Orleans Saints gear. Much love from Atlanta!